The Green Card is a physical certificate that you'll need if you're driving in the EU after 12th April 2019 in the event of a no-deal Brexit. You need one to prove to authorities that you have at least the minimum compulsory insurance required by the country being visited, and that if you get into an accident, your insurer will pay.

With all By Miles policies, you have fully comprehensive cover in any European Union country, as well as Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, and Andorra only, for up to 90 days in any one 12-month period. After that, you’ll get the minimum compulsory insurance as required by EU law.

A Green Card must be printed out on paper to be accepted. Unsurprisingly, it’s also green in colour. They are recognised in 48 countries and managed by the Council of Bureaux. Because it’s internationally recognised, just hand it to the authorities at the border to show them you’ve got valid insurance for that country.

If you plan to be driving abroad check to see what you might need at the link below:

You should then get in touch with us as soon as possible and we’ll post a Green Card out to you. We’ll need you to email us at, confirming:

  • The countries you’ll be driving in

  • The date you’ll enter these countries

  • Your By Miles policy reference

  • The address you want it posted to

Check out The Council of Bureaux website to see all the countries you can drive through without a Green Card right now, as well as those you can freely drive through once you have a Green Card. If you'd like to learn more about Green Cards, check out this article on our Magazine.

Did this answer your question?